A key factor to get results in the long run, is to create momentum in the short term.
Whatever skill we want to master, we need to get started, but we also need to keep going.
So momentum is key!
Therefore, it’s a good idea to schedule Straightness Training (ST) for at least two or three days a week in the beginning.
And that leads us to the first tip to create momentum:
Tip #1: Form A Tiny Habit
At this stage, we should not focus on results as we’re simply creating momentum and forming the habit of doing ST with our horse.
Because doing ST for 30 minutes can be too challenging for now, and we might tend to quit when we do long training sessions.
Now, will our horse get a good workout with only 3 exercises?
But right now, we’re not trying to give our horse a good workout to get flexible, strong, and in shape.
Eventually, yes, those results will come.
But for now, we’re only doing one thing:
Creating momentum by forming the habit of doing ST two or three days a week.
Now in general, when creating a new habit – doing ST, learning a new language, practicing yoga, meditation, eating healthy, studying a new topic, whatever – make the habit as tiny as possible.
So whatever you think you should do: cut it in half.
Then, if possible, cut it in half again.
Maybe once more if your time to do it is longer than 3 minutes.
This will set you up for success in a small way, and allow momentum to carry you forward.
Tip #2: Change Your Focus
Now I lost momentum for 10 months (!) since we moved to Portugal last year…
And what’s your ‘favorite’ excuse for not doing ST?
- Too busy?
- Too many other things going on?
- You miss a day or two and get discouraged?
- You’re not sure you’re doing it right?
- You talk yourself out of it?
I know, STarting Straightness Training is the easy bit.
But STicking with it can be much harder.
But there’s one factor that can help make all the difference.
That’s changing your focus from:
- “What do I have to do” – study materials, practice 3 times a week, doing 10 exercises, 5 pillars
- “What’s my outcome” – becoming the best horse trainer I can be, and having a healthy, fit, and happy horse that is a pleasure to ride.
So start doing ST with your end goal in mind!
And if you’d like to get some help to create momentum:
Let’s Start From Scratch
I’m about to start a brand new group of ST Mastery Students in September 2018 who will train together with me, and this is how it works:
1. First, we’ll first do a brand new, and free Mini Mastery Course to give you insight in where to start with Straightness Training, what to do next, and how to deal with challenges and setbacks along the way.
2. After that, the doors will be opened to the ST Mastery 2018 Class for those who would like to take serious action. In this class, you’ll get step-by-step coaching, personal feedback, and 24/7 support to help you get to the next levels of you and your horse’s abilities.
And anyone with any horse can join these two parts – no matter what age or breed or level of competence – there are no admission requirements to enter.
So if you are ready to get momentum and to make a positive change for your horse, then get on my early Bird list, so you’re the first to know when we start the Mini-Course, and when the doors to the Mastery 2018 Class are open: