When we are a ‘response-able’ rider, we respond optimally to the situation around us.
We make the choices to respond to events appropriately rather than complain about it.
Being ‘response-able’ is about adapting to the situation, events, challenges with our horse, and to life in general.
Now in day-to-day life, in social and semantic context, we’re using the word responsibility to express:
• “Who did it?”
• “Who’s to blame?”
But in Straightness Training (ST) – when we use the word responsibility – we’re talking about the response-ability which means the ability to respond.
So when for example a whip falls on the grounds:
• We can bend down and pick it up.
• We can ask somebody else to pick it up.
• We can take it later.
• We can leave it and go away.
So we can do any number of things because we feel responsible for this.
If we’re not responsible for it, in a way, we say:
“I am not able to do anything about it…”
Which attitude do you think gives more freedom?
I will tell you a secret:
▶ ︎Feeling responsible gives you freedom and aliveness in your training sessions!
Compare it to this:
A rider is lying on the ground.
- You call him: no response.
- You shake him: no response.
- You poke him: no response.
What do you think?
He’s not alive.
So if someone is completely incapable of responding, he’s dead.
So what is life?
The ability to respond!
Now the question is:
How alive do you want to be when training your horse?
If 100% aliveness has to happen within us:
- You must remove all the Gremlins!
- You must choose your thoughts!
- You must limit your amount of rules!
- You must use the power of meaning!
- And remove all the barriers that you’ve set up for your ability to respond!
To do so, just tap into your memory, when you were a kid:
You could respond to everything!
When a butterfly came by, you flew with it!
But what happens nowadays:
- Most probably we will not notice it.
- Or ignore it.
- Or chase it away.
But we do not fly with it anymore!
Here’s another secret:
▶︎ With age, agility can decrease, but aliveness cannot decrease!
If you’re 100, you can be as alive as a 6 y.o.!
Maybe not as agile as the kid, but you can be as alive!
But this is what happens:
When we were a kid, we could respond to everything, but nowadays we say:
“I am not responsible for this; I’m not responsible for that”.
But if you want to be 100% alive…
Then don’t put restrictions on your ability to respond!
Remember, the whole universe is responding to you:
- The water that you drink is responding to you.
- The food that you eat is responding to you.
- The air that you breathe is responding to you.
- The sun comes up, and your whole system responds.
You may not be conscious of this, but your body is responding to everything!
What you exhale, the trees are inhaling; what the trees exhale, you’re inhaling.
Every day, everything within you, every cell in your body, is responding.
If right now, your breathing apparatus refuses to respond to the outside situation, you’ll die!
But if you don’t like the rider next to you and think:
“I don’t want to inhale what he’s exhaling!”
Well…. you can only die.
You may not like him, but what he exhales, you inhale without any problem!
Your body has no problem.
The problem is only psychological.
Only your mind is resisting.
But life is functioning in an unlimited response to everything.
So here’s the third secret:
▶︎ Being responsible is the only way you can be successful in Straightness Training.
Straightness Training will become a complete way of training only when we embrace the quality of responsibility.
We can all do extraordinary things with our horse if we make a 100% commitment, rather then finding excuses or blame anything around us.
Links to Related and Recommended Articles
Start Taking Responsiblity Today!
If you’re ready to take responsibility, then join my free 4 part Mini Mastery Course!
This is what you’ll discover:
- How to get your horse healthy and fit in body, mind, heart, and soul.
- Where to start, what to do next, and how to progress through a series of simple steps.
- How to teach your horse a new exercise in a horse-friendly way.
- Which training exercises most horse trainers fail to practice, and what you should do instead.
- How to avoid the training pitfalls that I’ve fallen into, and almost every rider falls into, and which make training your horse ten times harder!
- Six simple keys to make a positive change for your horse, no matter what discipline you’re in, and no matter what breed or age!
All four video parts are accompanied by easy to understand theory and explanations, which makes it simple to follow and the processes even more clear!
Plus, the downloadable manuals are very informative, useful and helpful.
So don’t miss out on it, and join the course, it’s 100% free: